Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Interview a CP: Amy (Frontierland Attractions)

Amy steering one of the river rafts!
Amy was kind enough to volunteer to share her experience working in Walt Disney World during her college program! Here's what she had to say about her role...

What role did you have and where did you work during your DCP?
Attractions! Frontierland: Tom Sawyer Island and Country Bear Jamboree


What was a typical day like at work?
There was never ever a typical day at work! There was always something crazy going on! From alligators on the island, to the rafts dying and getting stuck on the river, to bear heads falling off. I would get to work early and there would usually be someone in the office to tell me a funny story to start my day off right. The island is only open in daylight, so if I had an afternoon shift I would always hope to be driving rafts. If I was at Bears in the afternoon I would look forward to the parade, banjo brothers, and the Frontierland hoedown. After sundown I would be at Bears the rest of the night. The shows would be a lot less crowded so there was always time to talk to other cast members. And you could bet we would fight over who got to stand outside during Wishes!


Is this the role you originally wanted? If not, are you happy you got it?
Attractions was one of my top choices! I was disappointed in the location at first but I’m so happy I was placed there!


What are your favorite and least favorite parts about your job?
Favorites: The people! Guests and cast members totally make the whole thing magical. I loved driving the rafts, it was so  much fun! I was also able to watch the parades and Wishes! From the country bear porch, which never ever got old!
Least Favorite: The hours and being exhausted all the time! Driving the rafts was very physical and hot. Working to 3am was pretty fun but after a while it got really exhausting.

Any specific magical moment you want to share?
There were so so many. The first one that comes to mind today was a time when there were several cast members on the bear porch one night. We got out these giant dominoes and had a blast sitting in the lobby and playing with kids as they waited for the next show to start. Parents took so many pictures of us and one mom came up later thanking me and told me that her five year old boy said we were his “favorite Disney workers ever!” I almost cried!


What made you want to do the DCP?
As soon as I knew it existed I knew I would do it!


Is there something you wish you would have known before doing your program? 
I actually can’t think of anything!


What advice would you give to those who are going to be participating in your role?
It’s overwhelming at first – but don’t give up! Make the most of it!


What advice would you give to people who are interested in doing the DCP?  
JUST DO IT! Don’t hesitate, don’t worry about getting behind in school. Just do it. Don’t be afraid to ask questions!
Have any specific questions for Amy? You can contact her through her blog here!

Are you a current or past college program cast member and would like to share your experience? Email your name and role to thedisneyden@yahoo.com to participate!

I hope everyone has a magical day!

2 comments:

  1. were ICPs (i.e. Canadians) allowed to steer the rafts? or was there a drivers license issue?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To my understanding you do not need a driver's license to steer the rafts, so there shouldn't be an issue.

      Delete