Friday, June 14, 2013

Interview a CP: Christine (Entertainment)

Me meeting Christine's best friend, Daisy!
Christine is one of my best friends that I made during the program! We actually started talking on Tumblr way before we even knew we would be accepted or not. It was so much fun talking to her about our applications, getting accepted, and when she found out she was going to be a character performer! Words cannot describe how much I love this girl. I miss her so much! Okay...on with her interview!

1) What role did you have during the DCP, and where did you work? 
I am a character performer and I’ve worked at all 4 of the parks, the Polynesian and Beach Club, and Typhoon Lagoon!

2) What was a typical day like at work? 
Get up, clock in, warm-up, pull costume, make magic ;)

3) Is this the role you originally wanted? If not, are you happy you got it? 
ABSOLUTELY. I’ve wanted to be a character performer for the longest time.

4) What are your favorite and least favorite parts about your job?
My favorite part is getting to see the guests’ faces light up when they finally meet their favorite character. The kids are adorable (most of the time) and I love being able to make magic for them. My least favorite part is the physical strain it puts on my body. My back, shoulders, and neck have hurt for the past 6 months.

5) Any specific magical moment you want to share? 
One time, Mickey had a dining shift at Tusker House in Animal Kingdom. At this end of his set, a waitress asked him to stop by a table who just wanted to say goodbye again. Usually Mickey doesn’t go out of his set rotation, but the table was on his way back to the kitchen so he stopped by. The little boy at the table was blind and Mickey spent 10 extra minutes in the restaurant with him. The little boy got to “see” Mickey’s face with his hands. It was amazing.


Christine's friend Meeko hangin' with Pocahontas!

6) What made you want to do the DCP? 
I was on a family vacation to Disney World when I was 12 and I randomly decided to ask a girl who was selling balloons on Main Street how I could work here. She told me that I could work here right when I got out of high school (which was obviously a long way away for the 12-year-old me) and that there was a program here for college students. I was sold right then and there.

7) Is there something you wish you would have known before doing your program? 
IF YOU FIND YOUR ROOMMATES BEFOREHAND ON FACEBOOK, DON’T ASSUME THEY’RE NORMAL BECAUSE THEY SEEM IT ONLINE. My last roommates… most of them were fine. One of them was loud, and rude, and just not a pleasant person to be around. I never would’ve expected it from the way she acted online. So just be careful when you choose a roommate. Also! Be prepared to be broke as all hell while you’re down here! (I also wish I would’ve known that not everyone here is as into Disney as you are and you’re going to meet people who are in the program who think Despicable Me is a Disney movie BUT THAT’S BESIDES THE POINT).

8 ) What advice would you give to those who are going to be participating in your role? 
IF YOU HAVE ALREADY BEEN ACCEPTED INTO THE PROGRAM AS A CHARACTER PERFORMER, START WORKING OUT. I’M SERIOUS. Do back, neck, and shoulder strengthening exercises. YOU WILL NEED IT.
Christine's good friend Mickey and his pooch, Pluto!
9) What advice would you give to people who are interested in doing the DCP? 
DO IT. Absolutely do it. It will be the best experience of your life. And if it isn’t, I will finish your program FOR you. Even if you’re scared out of your mind because you’ve never lived away from home and you don’t know anyone and you think you’re going to be alone and you’re never going to make friends (AKA me before I got down there), DO IT. I PROMISE YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT. I have learned so much about myself being down here. And I’ve made such good friends who I swear I will keep in contact with until the day I die (AKA SARA, AKA THEDISNEYDEN WOOO HI SARA!).
DO. THE. DCP.
ALSO FOLLOW MY DISNEY BLOG PARDONOURPIXIEDUST (hahaha)

You heard her! Go follow the girl if you have a Tumblr! ;) 

In all seriousness, if you have any questions for her feel free to ask her either on her blog, or you can even ask in the comments and I can ask her for you!


If you're a current or past college program cast member and would like to share your experience, email your name and role to thedisneyden@yahoo.com to participate!

Have a magical day!

2 comments:

  1. wow I didn't know that you could be so many different characters I though you just got locked into one role

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can be friends with whatever character you can qualify for. Mouse height just happens to have many different characters that people can be friends with.

      Delete