Friday, June 21, 2013

Interview a CP: Emilie (Festival of the Lion King)

Emily in her FoLK costume!
If you ask to have an attractions role in the DCP, don't expect to only have the options of rides such as roller coasters and tea cups! Attractions can be anything from spieling to shows. Emilie gives a great example by sharing her experience working in Festival of the Lion King in Animal Kingdom! An amazing show!

What role did you have during the DCP, and where did you work?
I was placed in attractions, but I worked in theatre ops in Disney's Animal Kingdom, more specifically Festival of the Lion King. (Attractions isn't just rides, which a lot of people forget about.)
What was a typical day like at work?
I usually clock in in the early afternoon, or if we're busy, late morning and work until 7:15. Unless I'm closing, in which case it could be 7:30 or 8:30 (DAK has the absolute best hours for CPs). My location mostly has rotation positions inside the theatre, but there are also some positions that are outside and they get very hot in the summer. I'm usually not in any one position for more than an hour and because from start of show load to end of show dump is about an hour, the days tend to go by really quickly. 
Is this the role you originally wanted? If not, are you happy you got it?
My top choice was character attendant, but I'm really happy I got attractions. Character attendants have to deal with a lot of cranky people and I have my fair share of those, but a lot more happy guests. 
What are your favorite and least favorite parts about your job?
Least favorite: Stroller parking - it's outside which is usually hot and people are not the best at parking strollers. I do love the guest interaction that comes with this position though! Giraffe section of the theatre - Giraffe and Timon positions load guests throughout the beginning of the show and guests don't tend to listen to your requests when the show is going on.
Favorite: Getting to pick random guests to fill up VIP seating when we don't have VIPs, it's awesome to be able to see the excitement of the guests when they get front row seats. Getting to make magical moments with kids by teaching them how to do the hand jive. 
Any specific magical moment you want to share?
One of the in theatre positions requires you to teach the audience the hand jive for the tumble monkey routine. Sometimes, you pick a kid out of the audience to help you. The first time I picked a kid out of the audience to help me, she was really excited and her mom was almost in tears about her getting picked to help. It's the moments like that that make my job worth it. 
What made you want to do the DCP?
I've always wanted to work for Disney and I figured this was a good way to get my foot in the door. 
Is there something you wish you would have known before doing your program?
I read a lot of DCP blogs before I came, because I wanted to know as much as possible about the program. When I found out my role though, I couldn't find anything about theatre ops. I wish I had been able to find more information on it before I started. 
What advice would you give to those who are going to be participating in your role?
Sometimes certain aspects of being in attractions can be repetitive (for me, it's "please move ALL the way across the theatre!", for rides it could be "how many in your party?"), but don't let the repetitive-ness get boring. Try to make your job fun, otherwise you're going to dread going to work very quickly and that would suck.
What advice would you give to people who are interested in doing the DCP?
Know what you're getting into! I love my job and my program so far, but I knew I was coming down here to work first and foremost. I have a lot of fun when I'm not working, but work can be very tiring. A lot of people get down here and complain that all they're doing is working and end up self terming. So basically, don't come down thinking it's going to be all magical. It is a lot of fun though and as with most things, it is what you make of it!

If you would like to ask Emilie any more questions about her experience or her role, you can contact her through her blog, TheEmilieZ

If you're a current or past college program cast member and would like to share your experience, email your name and role to thedisneyden@yahoo.com to participate!

Have a magical weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment